The History of Ola Edwards Community School
George Washington School was the last of the Hillside elementary schools to be erected in 1931-32. It’s only addition, the William M. Raphael multi-purpose room, was put into use in 1952-3. (Three R's from the book Along the Upper Road: A history of Hillside by Jean Rae Turner published by the Rotary Club of Hillside)
On August 2, 2020, George Washington School was renamed Ola Edwards Community School. Edwards, a resident of Hillside, served the school district for thirty years. She served as a Cafeteria Worker before serving in the capacity of School Custodian. Edwards dedicated her life to the Hillside School Community and its students. She took tremendous pride and ownership in her job responsibilities. Her love for children led her to become Foster Mother to 10 children while raising her only child, Tony; all of whom are products of Hillside Public Schools.